Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Great Great-Grampa

Nicholas and Chelsea are very blessed in many ways. One of their blessings is that they have been able to spend time with 3 of their 4 great-grandparents; I wouldn't imagine that many people can say this. Their great-grandfather (my mother's father) passed away this Monday and he will be sorely missed. Russell W. Stone was a World War II veteran, a talented artist and an all-around WONDERFUL man. My favorite memories of him were at the beach (he taught me how to fish) and on holidays at his and my grandmother's house. They continued to host every major holiday until this past year after Grampa's fall made it too hard. He was 89 and my grandmother is 84. Nana and Grampa have 4 daughters, 8 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren...and grampa could never keep everyone's names straight! "Pammy, Nancy, Jenny...what's your name, oh wait, Heather!!!" When it came to the great-grandkids he basically just called everyone "kid"..."hey, you there...kid". The memories and stories are endless and we will not stop telling them any time soon.



I hope that someday Nicholas and Chelsea realize how lucky they are to have known him and treasure whatever memories they have of him. We love you Grampa.



Christmas 2008

One of Great-Grampa's many, awesome pieces of art


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH my. You have me in tears. Such a wonderful post, to keep those memories alive. Russ was definitely a character to say the very least! Lots of memories. Many condolences to your family- he will most certainly be missed but not forgotten!

Suzanne said...

That was a wonderful post to Russ! I hope you guys are all doing okay, Heath!! xoxoxox

Lynne, Camryn, & Jayden said...

Oh Heath that was so nice. Grampa was such a great man. He will be missed everyday by many people. But to those who knew him best he lives inside of us forever. I love you Gramps....